Monday, September 14, 2009

The Swine Flu Diaries: Urticaria

Thursday

Yes, you read that right: urticaria, or hives. No, it is not normally part of the swine flu disease course. But I got to experience it. Lucky me. Here is how it went down.

I awoke feeling a tiny bit better. It appeared the upper GI part of the illness had resolved and it had settled in my lower GI tract. Not that diarrhea is fun, but I'll take it over vomiting. I took my morning dose of Tamiflu, drank some water, and flopped down on the couch feeling fatigued, achy, and out of it. About an hour later I had to make a run for the bathroom. Upon finishing my business there, I happened to glance in the mirror. What the hell? Why is my face so red? Looking more closely I realized that my face was covered with red wheals. I glanced under my pj's and realized they were all over my body.

I woke Mrs. Lone Coyote to tell her I thought I was allergic to Tamiflu. Boy, was she having a rough week with me waking her up with all kinds of problems each morning. We agreed it had to be the Tamiflu since I had not eaten in days. My airway felt fine, but the hives were growing bigger and itchier, so I grabbed my EpiPen just in case.

Eventually, a trip to my HMO was in order and a friend drove me over there to get some antihistamine and to show them my airway was fine. The several hours spent out just wiped me out and I eventually came home, took the antihistamine, and basically spent the rest of the day passed out. All of this meant no more Tamiflu for me. I would have to brave what was to come without the wonder drug.

No comments: